1. What is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The annual Catholic Social Ministry Gathering is a collaborative effort of 16 national Catholic organizations
. It is rooted in the Word of God, the Sacraments, and the Church’s living Catholic social tradition that builds solidarity, knowledge, and skills among social ministry leaders in local arch/dioceses, religious congregations, Catholic educational institutions, and other national Catholic organizations. It animates the Church’s social mission for the evangelization of the world.
2. What is the purpose of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
The purpose of the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering is:
3. Who should attend the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering?
- to share and apply Catholic Social teaching
- to share information and strategies on priority domestic and international issues affecting the life and dignity of the human person
- to prepare and organize participants to carry the message on issues both to Congress in Washington, D.C., and to constituencies and political leaders in their home arch/dioceses
- to deepen and strengthen participants efforts to develop leadership and capacity at the diocesan and parish level by sharing Catholic social teaching, providing workshops on skills and strategies, and by sharing materials and activities that are useful at the local level
- to gather in the context of the Catholic social tradition to teach, pray, and celebrate the work and accomplishments we share
Leaders whose work is to advocate for social justice issues on behalf of Catholic organizations such as a diocese, a parish, an educational institution, or other local or national Catholic organization.
4. Where is the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering held?
The Gathering is held in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, which makes it convenient for participants to travel to Capitol Hill for their lobby visit(s). CSMG 2013 will be held at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park
. The hotel is located at 2660 Woodley Road N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008.
5. What is the reasoning behind choosing the hotel?
In addition to being convenient to Capitol Hill, the Catholic Social Ministry Gathering Planning Committee selected the Washington Marriott Wardman Park because it is one of the few union hotels in the Washington, D.C. area that can accommodate the group’s size. In earlier surveys, using a union hotel was expressed as an important factor when contracting with hotels for the Gathering.
6. Why should I stay at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park when there are less expensive hotels in the Washington, D.C. area?
The meeting planners negotiated and contracted special discounted rates for the attendees. It is very important to fill the room block in order to keep costs down for the conference.
7. When is the Gathering held?
The Gathering is an annual meeting, which is usually held in February when Congress is in session.
8. What are the dates for the next Gathering?
CSMG 2013 -- The dates are Sunday, February 10 through Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Pre-Gathering meetings, hosted by several national Catholic organizations, will take place Friday, February 8 through Sunday, February 10, 2013.
CSMG 2014 -- The dates are Sunday, February 2, 2014 to Wednesday, February 5, 2014. Pre-Gathering meetings will take place from Friday, January 31, 2014 to Sunday, February 2, 2014.
1. When will registration open?
On-line registration for the Gathering opens in early November and continues through Wednesday, February 6, 2013. After that point, registration will be possible on-site. Please be aware that registration rates and hotel fees increase as the dates of the Gathering draw closer.
2. What are the registration fees for the Gathering?
The registration fee for the entire Gathering ranges from $295 to $420, depending on the date that registration is completed. Rates for single-day(s) registration are also available. See the schedule of fees below.
Through Dec. 12
Dec. 13, 2012 –
Jan. 11, 2013
Jan. 12, 2013-
Feb. 13, 2013
|Sunday Feb. 10
|Monday Feb. 11
|Tuesday Feb. 12
|Wednesday Feb. 13
**Additional fees may apply for Pre-Gathering meetings.**
3. How should I register for the Gathering?
Participants can choose either registration for the entire Gathering (Sunday – Wednesday) or registration for individual days of the Gathering. Attendees are strongly encouraged to register for the entire Gathering.
4. What is Gathering registration?
Gathering registration fees include admittance to all meeting activities, events, and meal functions taking place from Sunday, February 10, 2013 through Wednesday, February 13, 2013. Pre-Gathering meetings and some partner organization events are not included in the overall fee for CSMG, and additional fees may apply for these.
5. What is daily Gathering registration?
Daily Registration allows attendees to register for activities by particular day(s) of the Gathering. Daily Registration fees range from $60.00 to $180.00 per day depending on which day of the Gathering is selected, and how soon registration is completed.
6. What is a pre-Gathering meeting?
Pre-Gathering meetings are an opportunity for national Catholic partner organizations to meet with their membership to plan, learn, strategize, share, organize, and celebrate their own efforts from February 8 - February 10, 2013. With the exception of events held by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, pre-Gathering meetings are not directly associated with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The organizations holding pre-Gathering meetings are solely responsible for the content of their meetings.
7. Who should attend pre-Gathering meetings?
A person or persons who are colleagues, members, or guests of one or more of the Catholic social mission organizations that hold pre-Gathering meetings. The topics of pre-Gathering meetings are often somewhat more specialized than the general program for CSMG.
8. This is my first time attending the meeting – will there be a new attendees orientation or training?
Yes, if this will be your first time at the Gathering, it is strongly recommended that you attend the First-Time Attendees orientation on the afternoon of Sunday, February 10.
9. How can I register for the Gathering?
Click here to be directed to the online Catholic Social Ministry Gathering registration site, where you can complete the registration process. Payment requires a credit card or check.
10. Can I register a group of people?
Yes, there is an option to register a group of people at one time with one form of payment. For additional information, please contact CSMG Reservations at email@example.com or 866-381-5174.
11. What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept credit cards (MasterCard and Visa only) or checks (personal and organization check). Credit card payments are usually processed within 3-5 business days after your registration application is submitted. Check payments are to be made payable to USCCB-JPHD. A $35.00 fee will be charged for returned checks. Please do not send cash. If you have questions about payment for registration, please contact CSMG Registration at 866-381-5174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. How do I make my hotel reservations?
Participants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations by going online to Washington Marriott Wardman Park or contacting Marriott reservations at 1-877-212-5752. A deposit equivalent to one night of accommodation ($213 + tax) is required at the time a room reservation is made.
2. What are the hotel rates for the Gathering?
The hotel rate for CSMG 2013 is $213 per night for single/double occupancy (plus 14.5% tax).
3. What is the cut-off date for making hotel reservations using the discounted conference rate?
The cut-off date for the CSMG discounted hotel room rate is Thursday, January 18, 2013. Attendees are strongly encouraged to register and to reserve their hotel room as soon as possible. Call 1-877-212-5752 or go online to Washington Marriott Wardman Park to make your room reservation now!
4. Whom should I contact to modify or cancel my hotel registration?
To modify or cancel your hotel reservations contact the Washington Marriott Wardman Park reservations at 1-877-212-5752.
1. What airports are most convenient for attending CSMG 2013?
There are three airports in the Washington, D.C. area:
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is located approximately 9 miles from downtown Washington, D.C.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is located approximately 25 miles from downtown Washington D.C.
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is located approximately 30 miles from downtown Washington, D.C. Trains run regularly between BWI and downtown Washington.
2. How will I get to the Gathering from the airport?
Listed below are several modes of ground transportation to the get to the Gathering. Please note all service rates are subject to change without notice.
From Washington Reagan National Airport
- Driving: Follow the signs to Washington D.C. (George Washington Parkway). Take I-395 North to Route 1 (Route 1 is the 14th Street Bridge). Merge to the far left lane on the bridge and follow the signs for 14th Street. Take 14th Street for 1 mile. Turn left onto K Street. Continue on K for 5 blocks. Turn right onto Connecticut. Avenue. Follow Connecticut Avenue for 1 mile. Cross over the William Taft Bridge. Make a left turn at the 3rd light after the bridge onto Woodley Rd. The Hotel entrance is on left.
- Metrorail (D.C.’s subway system): Look for the “Metro” signs in the airport. Purchase a ticket with sufficient fare to reach the Woodley Park Station (approximately $3.05 one-way non-rush hour; $4.15 one-way rush hour). Take the Yellow line in the direction of Ft. Totten/Mt. Vernon. Change at Gallery Place Station to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove. Exit at the Woodley Park/Zoo Station. The hotel is located one block from the Metro. Once you have exited the Metro via the escalators, go to the right, down a short flight of stairs, and cross the road. Follow the driveway straight ahead of you up hill towards the hotel (a walk of approximately 1 block). Check with WMATA for more information.
- Taxi: Taxis are available outside the baggage claim area. The fare is approximately $30.00 (one-way).
- Shuttle Service: Super Shuttle vans are available at the all the three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Dulles International Airport
- Driving: Follow the signs to Interstate 66 east to Washington. Follow I-66 to the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge (US Route 50). Take the Constitution Ave exit off the bridge. Continue on Constitution for 6 blocks and make a left turn onto 17th Street. This will change to Connecticut Avenue for 1 mile. Cross over the William Taft Bridge. Make a left turn at the 3rd light after the bridge onto Woodley Avenue. The hotel entrance is on the left.
- Taxi: Washington Flyer Taxi Service is the exclusive taxi provider at Dulles. A ride to the hotel is approximately $60.00 (one way).
- Rail/Bus/Shuttle: Coming from Dulles International Airport, connect to Metrorail using Metrobus. For just $6 per person (discounted rates are available for seniors and people with disabilities), the 5A takes you to Rosslyn station on the Orange and Blue lines with just one stop in between. To find out when the bus leaves the airport, see the 5A schedule. Click here for more information at WMATA’s website. You can also take the Washington Flyer bus to the West Falls Church-VT/UVA station on the Orange Line. To find out when the Washington Flyer leaves the airport and its cost, go to the Washington Flyer website. Super Shuttle vans are available at the all the three Metropolitan Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826 (1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
From Thurgood Marshall/Baltimore Washington International Airport
- Driving: Take I-95 South to I-495 West. Take Exit 33, Connecticut Ave. Southbound. Continue on Connecticut Avenue for about 6.5 miles. Turn right onto Woodley Road. The hotel entrance is on the left. The hotel is located at the on top of Woodley Park Metro Stop.
- Train: Take the free shuttle from the Airport to BWI Marshall Rail Station and take the AMTRAK or MARC rail services to Union Station. Once at Union Station, take the Metro (Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove) to Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan stop. The train fare will include approximately $6 for MARC ($15 for Amtrak) and $1.75 for Metro. The hotel is located one block from the Woodley Park Station. Once you have exited the
Metro via the escalators, go to the right, down a short flight of
stairs, and cross the road. Follow the driveway straight ahead of you up
hill towards the hotel (a walk of approximately 1 block). Check with WMATA for more information.
- Taxi: Fares to the hotel are approximately $60.00 (one-way).
- Rail/Bus/Shuttle: Connect to Metrorail using Metrobus. The B30 bus ($6 one-way, cash only) takes you to Greenbelt station on the Green Line. As this is the end of the line, take any train in the direction of D.C. Then change at Gallery Place Station to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove. Exit at the Woodley Park/Zoo Station. The hotel is located one block
from the Metro. Once you have exited the Metro via the escalators, go to
the right, down a short flight of stairs, and cross the road. Follow
the driveway straight ahead of you up hill towards the hotel (a walk of
approximately 1 block). Check with WMATA for more information. Super Shuttle vans are available at the all the three Metropolitan
Airports. Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 1-800-258-3826
(1-800-BLUE-VAN), for more information.
Cancellations & Refunds
1. Will I be able to cancel my meeting registration?
Cancellation requests must be submitted by email and received by close of business (5:00 p.m. ET) no later than January 18, 2013. Send your email to email@example.com
2. Is there a processing fee for canceling my registration?
Meeting registration fees will be refunded minus a $100.00 processing fee.
3. If I paid with a credit card, will the refund be issued to my credit card?
All refunds will be issued by check, even if paid by credit card. The check will be issued in the name of, and sent to, the payer on record.
4. How long will it take to receive a refund?
Refunds are processed approximately six to eight weeks after the Gathering.
5. Can I cancel my hotel reservation?
Contact the Washington Marriott Wardman Park directly to cancel your hotel reservation at 1-877-212-5752.