- Prayer and Worship
- Beliefs and Teachings
- Issues and Action
- Catholic Giving
- About USCCB
To date, the Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America (SCLA) of the USCCB has approved over 10 million USD in grants to 15 reconstruction projects.
Much has been done to rebuild the destroyed Church structures in Haiti, yet there is still so much more to do. In Late 2011, the construction unit of the
Partnership for Church Reconstruction ("Proche"),
known as the "UOC," became operational in Haiti with two professional
staff. Since then, the UOC has received over 100 project applications.To
date, the Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America (SCLA) of the
USCCB has approved over $10 million USD in grants to 15 reconstruction
projects. Over 90% of these funds were awarded in 2012. Other funding partners have contributed to these and other projects for a total of nearly 40 projects in various stages of execution.
Projects that the UOC is working on include several major reconstruction projects in the design
phase, notably the Sacré-Coeur church in Port-au-Prince. Others are nearing completion, including the newly
reconstructed church of St. Francis of Assisi in Grand Goave.
In recent years, Haiti has suffered much through political instability and natural disasters, notably the January 2010 earthquake that destroyed a significant portion of the capital Port-au-Prince and is estimated to have caused over 200,000 deaths. It also destroyed much of the Catholic infrastructure in the archdiocese of Port-au-Prince and the diocese of Jacmel. The reconstruction costs to repair Catholic buildings were estimated to be in excess of $150 million USD.
From left: Ruins of the Sacré-Coeur church in Port-au-Prince immediately after the 2010 quake, ruins of St. Vincent de Paul school in Gressier, 2010, and ruins of the Grand Seminary, Port-au-Prince, 2012.
After the 2010 earthquake, the bishops held a special collection for earthquake assistance in every diocese in the United States. U.S. Catholics were extraordinarily generous, giving over $85 million in a single weekend. The funds were used by CRS for humanitarian relief supplying food, water, medical aid, and temporary housing to the victims of the earthquake. Other funds were set aside for longer term needs. The bishops decided that 60% of the special collection funds would go to CRS for its important work and the remaining 40% would be used by the USCCB for reconstruction of the destroyed and damaged Catholic Church infrastructure in Haiti.
After the collection, in late 2010, the USCCB joined with the Catholic Church of Haiti and
others, including sister churches from Germany, France, Latin America,
and the Vatican, in a new partnership to rebuild the Church in Haiti.
Together, these organizations looked for a way to formalize coordination
between partners and to manage the reconstruction.
The goals of this partnership are to ensure that reconstructed or
repaired buildings are built to withstand future natural disasters and
that reconstruction funds are managed with the highest degree of
transparency and accountability, as is always called for in these
The result was the Partnership for Church Reconstruction ("Proche"). This collaborative body is entrusted with managing the reconstruction program to ensure quality of construction, as well as a rigorous and transparent administration of funds. Other funders, including dioceses and parish twinning programs, are encouraged to use Proche for Church reconstruction projects. Proche is governed by a Joint Steering Committee with representatives from the Haitian Conference of Bishops (CEH), the Haitian conference of the Religious (CHR), the Apostolic Nuncio to Haiti, the USCCB, Adveniat of Germany, and the French Conference of Bishops (CEF). Project funding decisions are made within each donor organization.
By accepting this message, you will be leaving the website of the
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This link is provided
solely for the user's convenience. By providing this link, the United
States Conference of Catholic Bishops assumes no responsibility for,
nor does it necessarily endorse, the website, its content, or